Jump to recipe
Kaesesahne is one of my favorite Cream Cakes or Tortes when sitting at a street cafe in Germany. It’s a little challenging for a beginner, but it’s worthwhile and tastes great!
Combine the whipping cream, sugar, the egg yolks, the salt, vanilla extract and the lemon zest into a saucepan and heat, do not boil. Add the dissolved Knox Gelatin and stir well, allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl mix the Greek Yoghurt and the lemon juice, stir. Whip the remaining cold whipping cream and add to mixture (see recipe below)
You can use 4 packets of Knox Gelatine, but if you like to use the original leaf or sheet Gelatine to stiffen the cream mixture.
Gelatin sheets can be bought here
Other Variations of Kaesesahne:
Käsesahne Torte, Cream Cake with Mandarines
- For the Cake bottom:
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup table sugar
- ¾ cup white all purpose flour
- 1/3rd cup or 6 ¼ tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- For the Filling:
- 4 cups cooled whole whipping creme
- ¾ cup table sugar
- 1 ¼ lb Greek Yoghurt 2% or 4%
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of one organic lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 bags Knox Gelatin, dissolved with ½ cup water (or 7 sheets of Gelatin)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small can Mandarines (optional)
1 hour, 30 minutes
Best to start planning and preparing the cake 2 to 3 days before.
Cake bottom needs to be baked the day ahead.
Cream Cake needs to rest in the refrigerator approx. 12 hours to get firm
- Cake bottom a day before:
- Whip up the whole eggs with the sugar for 7 minutes until a nice mass is formed.
- Mix in the flour, the cornstarch and baking powder.
- Lay out the springform and baking tray with parchment paper, do not grease the edge of the mold, only the bottom.
- Put the dough into the mold and bake at 375 F in a preheated oven for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Take the cake bottom out of the oven and let cool on the bottom form for about 10 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to loosen the bottom of the pie, allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Store covered on counter top overnight.
- Cream filling the next day:
- Prepare Knox Gelatin per instruction (4 bags with 1/2 cup of water)
- Add 1/2 cup of whipping cream, the sugar, the egg yolks, the salt, vanilla extract and the lemon zest into a saucepan and heat, do not boil.
- Add the Knox Gelatin and mix well and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix the Greek Yoghurt and the lemon juice and stir.
- Whip remaining cool whipping cream.
- Add the cool egg mixture to the Greek Yoghurt mixture, stir and fold in the whipped cream.
- Cut the bottom cake (from the day before( in the middle once.
- Oil the inside of the spring form with a brush (so the cake can be easily removed from the edge later).
- Pour half of the cream filling into the cake, sprinkle with dripped mandarin and pour in the rest of the filling.
- Now cut the pie lid into slices, and place on the cream filling, press down a bit.
- Chill the cake overnight.
- Loosen the cake before serving and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Cut the baked top in slices before placing it on top.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2021 AngiesWeb.com