I became a bread baking enthusiast after watching a NY Times video of Sullivan Bakery in New York. It started as “It’s so easy, a four year old can do it”. I had to try, and I am hooked ever since. Also see Crusty no-knead French Baguette
Here is a step by step instruction with my personal touch.
Easy “No knead” Crusty Bread recipe:
You will need a Dutch oven. I recommend a black Lodge 5qt. Dutch oven from Target ($34). Couple times a year Aldi has them under $30. Sams Club sometimes, two for $60
Double the recipe below if you have a 6, or 7 Quart Dutch Oven, bake it at 480 F, 55 min, remove cover an bake another 15 minutes. For that I have an have a larger oval Dutch oven from Aldi
Recipe for 4 or 5 quart Dutch Oven:
3 cups bread flour. I prefer King Arthur 100% Whole Wheat and King Arthur (or Pillsbury) White flour. Mix as desired. (Publix has Rye and Spelt flower).
1/4 tsp. Fleischman active dry yeast
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups warm water (optional 1 cup water, 1/2 cup dark beer, 2 tbsp vinegar)
• Mix together the flower, yeast and salt
• Add warm water and mix with hands or spatula.
• Cover with plastic and let sit 17 to 22 hours.
• Scoop out dough, lie on board and turn in flour. Do not knead! Form a loaf
• Cover dough loosely with plastic or kitchen towel. Let rest while pre-heating the oven
• Wipe the inside of the Dutch oven with cooking oil. Preheat oven to 500 degrees with Dutch oven inside.
• Place dough in covered hot Dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes.
• Remove cover, and bake an additional 12 to 15 minutes to let it brown
• Let cool completely on rack.
• Consume bread, be happy!
Add to Flower: 2 tbsp Wheat Bran/Germ, Flax Seed, Oatmeal, Sunflower seeds, Cranberries and Walnuts, Rosemary with Olives (or Garlic out of a jar), Caraway and/or Anis Seeds
Cover dough with wheat germ, sunflower or roasted pumpkin seeds, oatmeal. You can cover the Rosemary Garlic dough with freshly grated Parmesan before putting it in the oven.