This tender Veal dish in a creamy Mushroom sauce is a classic meal I ate while visiting my friend in Zürich.
Zürich Geschnetzeltes can be made with my Potato Pancakes recipe. In Switzerland it would be called Rösti
Besides veal, pork loin, sirloin steak or chicken breast can be used, very thinly sliced.
Tip: Freeze meat for one hour, then slice.
See the conventional recipe below, but you can also prepare this dish in an Instant Pot. Saute the mushrooms, onions and parsley (remove and return at the end). Sear the seasoned meat till brown, but still pink in the inside. Add 3 cups of broth, and set in IP for 8 minutes high pressure. Slow release 5 minutes. Open top and add flour/corn starch to thicken, season with salt and pepper turn down. At the end finish with whole cream (sour cream) and white wine, maybe Worcester sauce
This dish can be prepared in the Instant pot. See recipe below in description. Served with my Potato Pancake recipe or wide noodles as side
Zürich Geschnetzeltes, a Swiss veal dish
- 1 lb veal, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp flour
- Butter and oil for frying
- 3/4 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 to 3 cups broth, or water with 1 beef cube
- ½ cup white wine or Sherry cooking wine)
- 1 cup whole cream or 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Fry the sliced mushrooms and chopped parsley for three minutes while stirring. Remove and set aside.
- Fry sliced veal and onions sprinkled with a little flour in butter or oil for about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth or water and continue cooking for 10 more minutes. Thicken the sauce with some flour and cornstarch.
- Now combine with the mushrooms that you had aside.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- At the end add whole cream, white wine, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Serve on warm plate with Potato pancakes (see recipe above), or wide noodles, also called Pappardelle
Instead of “Rösti” make Angie’s potato pancake recipe, or wide noodles (Pappardelle) as a side
Click on Picture below for the Potato Pancake recipe as a side