A Schmelzkäse is a melting cheese that can be prepared with different ingredients, These cheeses can be spreadable or used as a spread, party dip or Fondue.
One of the favorite cheese spreads is a Beer Cheese with Brie. Depending if you like to use this cheese as a dip or spread, you need to adjust the liquid accordingly. It will firm up when cooled and left in the refrigerator overnight
I tinkered around with different variations and added Beer, also Champagne or Wine to round off the taste. I served it with Pretzels or French Baguette at my Parties, and it was a big hit.
Prepare the basic recipe below without the parmesan. Once turning heat of stove on low, add a cubed half brie, 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1 tbsp. Mustard, juice of a half Lemon and 1/2 cup beer to your liking at the end. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with Pretzels as a spread or dip.
Champagne or Wine (Riesling) Cheese
Use basic recipe below, then add at the end up to 1/2 cup of Riesling or Champagne, 1 tsp granulated onions (optional), Parmesan can be replaced with 1/2 Brie, zest and juice of 1/2 lemon. This recipe can also be used as a Fondue
Eat with crusty French Baguette or Bauernbrot
Schmelzkäse, a tasty Cheese dip or spread
- 1 lb Small Curd Cottage Cheese
- ½ tbsp. Baking Soda
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 8 oz. Processed Cheese, like Velveeta, cubed
- 2 -3 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbsp. Milk (optional)
- Salt and pepper to your liking
Champagne or Wine Cheese spread or dip: Use basic recipe below, add about a 1/2 cup of Riesling or Champagne, 1 tsp granulated onions (optional) and zest and juice of 1/2 lemon. Dash of salt. This recipe can also be a Fondue cheese with French Baguette cubes dunked into it!
- In a small bowl, mix cottage cheese and baking soda.
- Let stand at room temperature for one hour.
- This allows the curds to break down, and melt smooth.
- Don’t add more baking soda, it will taste funny, and don’t worry if it’s not perfectly smooth after an hour.
- In a large saucepan, melt Butter and Process Cheese at medium/low heat.
- Stir occasionally until completely melted.
- Add the broken down Cottage Cheese and Parmesan Cheese, then stir until smooth.
- Stir. If mixture is very thick, add some milk.
- Adjust liquid if you choose a dip or spread, it will get firm in the fridge.
- See different add-ins and combinations in the summary!
Crusty French Baguette with a Fondue and Pretzel, Crackers with the Beer cheese. Pour into containers (for serving or storing) and cool. It will get firmer when cooled.