I was in the vegetable section of the grocery store the other day and found a Savoy Cabbage. I remembered that my mother used to make a creamed Cabbage vegetable dish at family gatherings
You can find Savoy Cabbage in certain grocery stores in the US. Maybe try Harris Teeter, Publix, Wegmans, Whole Foods or Earth Fare
Savoy Cabbage, besides other vegetables, is grown in the Franconian Farmland or Knoblauchland near Nürnberg. This area is characterized by intensive relationships with the adjacent urban areas. On one prospect there was the supply of the city population with vegetables, and on the other, the city of Nürnberg protected the nearby cultivation areas and farmers in times of war and emergency.
Near Nürnberg is the “Knoblauchsland”, one of the largest contiguous vegetable growing areas of its kind in Germany. The development goes back to the 8th century. The historically significant and old Franconian cultural landscape is located in the middle of the city triangle Nürnberg-Fürth-Erlangen in Bavaria.
A Vegetable field at the Defense church near Kraftshof (Nürnberg)
“Wirsinggemüse” or creamed Savoy Cabbage
Cuisine German/Franconia Category European Cuisine Germany Northern Europe Recipes Side dish Vegetable
- 1 Savoy Cabbage
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup broth
- 3/4 cup whole cream
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp butter
A dish I remember from my childhood growing up in Franconia, North Bavaria
- Divide the savoy cabbage in half, remove the stalk and cut into strips, wash.
- Heat the butter in the pot.
- Mince the onion and sauté it until it is translucent.
- Add the savoy cabbage strips and fry a little too.
- Add 1/4 tsp baking soda to keep the green color.
- When the savoy cabbage has cooked down a little, pour the broth over it and cook until soft, about 10 min.
- Puree the savoy cabbage in a mixer or hand blender.
- Season well with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour in the cream and stir everything again well.
- The savoy cabbage should be nice and creamy, if necessary you can thicken it with some flour and cornstarch.
You can store the leftover in the refrigerator for 3 days, or freeze it in a container up to 6 month
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 AngiesWeb.com