I had this Leberknödelsuppe or in English Liver dumpling soup many times growing up. It is usually found on a Franconian dinner table
My mother had a Fleischwolf (meat grinder) to make the Leberknoedel back then, as you see on the picture below. You can use your food processor, but I highly recommend a Ninja mixer.
Leberknödelsuppe, Liver dumpling soup
Cuisine German Category European Cuisine Germany Northern Europe Recipes Soups
- ½ lb calves liver (can be mixed with hamburger meat)
- 1 Tbsp cream cheese
- 1 small onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 4 cups beef broth (well seasoned)
It’s my mothers recipe, and a Franconian speciality. I use my Ninja mixer, but any food processor will also grind the liver.
- Add the cream cheese, onion, parsley, and seasonings and process until smooth.
- Add the breadcrumbs and egg and process until well mixed.
- Form dumplings, adding more bread crumbs (or flour) if needed, for dumplings to hold together.
- Bring broth to boil.
- Add dumplings and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Dumplings will float to the top when ready
Keeps in the fridge for several days, and it probably even taste better the next day.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 AngiesWeb.com