For this Lemon Almond cake without flour, the description “juicy” doesn’t actually suffice at all. The low carb, gluten-free cake with ground almonds is extremely moist and still slightly moist on the inside. Exactly how I love my cakes!
This flourless Almond Lemon cake is extremely moist and delicious. Another plus point, the cake is gluten-free, and with a suitable sugar substitute it’ll also makes it low carb
By the way, this is also the perfect recipe for everyone who has been rather disappointed with gluten-free cakes so far, because these cakes are often rather dry. The opposite is the case here, it doesn’t matter whether you have to (or want to) eat gluten-free or not, you will definitely like the Almond Lemon cake without flour!
For a low-carb almond and lemon cake, simply replace the sugar with Erythritol or Xylitol, can be bought below:
Basically, the Almond Lemon cake has more the consistency of a sponge cake. The basis is a very frothy egg mass. Similar to the Viennese biscuit, it is also refined with liquid butter, which makes the almond cake simply absolutely stunning in terms of consistency.
For me, the simple, juicy almond cake heralds Spring in culinary terms. Like lemon curd or cake au citron, the cake tastes like lemon. If you like it more intense, you can use twice the amount of lemon zest.
Buy Almond meal here on Amazon:
I recommend to use the blanched version of Almonds. The result is really fine and optically nice and bright. How to blanch Almonds
In theory, it’s a cake that keeps for a long time. So you can bake the gluten-free almond-lemon cake the day before, or even two days in advance. In practice it is probably different. I had to be careful not to eat the whole Almond Lemon cake right after it came out of the oven (-:
Almond Lemon Cake (low carb)
- 4 eggs (separate eggs from yolk)
- 2/3rd cup sugar (or substitute)
- 1/3rd cup butter
- 2 1/3rd cup (220 g) finely grinded almonds or almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 tbsp ground almonds to sprinkle the pan
- For the topping:
- ½ cup (60 g) almond, slivered
For a low-carb almond and lemon cake, simply replace the sugar with erythritol or xylitol, can be bought below:
Buy Erythritol here on Amazon
Buy Xylitol here on Amazon
Buy Almond meal here on Amazon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F top and bottom heat.
- Grease a small springform pan and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of flour and/or almonds.
- Separate eggs from yolk.
- Beat ½ cup sugar and egg yolks until fluffy.
- Beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff.
- Stir the melted butter, lemon zest and juice into the egg mixture.
- Mix the ground almonds with the baking powder, carefully stir into the egg mixture.
- Finally fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared mold and smooth out.
- Scatter the slivered almonds over the dough.
- Bake the cake at 350 F for about 35-40 minutes, covering with foil halfway through (so that it does not get too dark).
- Let cool.
- Dust the finished cake with powdered sugar (optional)
Optional: Dust the cooled cake with powdered sugar
The almond biscuit is also wonderful with additional fruit such as cherries, berries or apples.