I came about this tasty Grill Bratwurst strolling through the town of Eisenach in Thuringia.
Born in Würzburg and growing up on Bratwurst from that region, I was intrigued about the this regional Bratwurst and the spices they use
My Bavarian Sauerkraut would be a tasty side dish
These are the casings that are suitable for Bratwurst
I did some research, and if you up to it and have the right equipment, go ahead and try
Recipe for 20 Sausages
Thuringia Sausage/Thüringer Rostbratwurst
Cuisine German Category European Cuisine Germany Main Course Northern Europe Recipes Wurst Deli meats
- 3 lb pork shoulder
- 1 lb pork belly
- 2 eggs (cold)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp Majoran (rubbed, dried)
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground caraway
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Sheep’s casing 25 meters (Kaliber 22/24). Might need to be soaked for at least an hour. Try Amazon
A grill speciality we eat every time we travel to Leipzig or Dresden
- Mince the meat twice (a Ninja Mixer works best)
- Add all the spices, the eggs and lemon zest.
- Mix all ingredients together, making sure to spread the spices as evenly as possible.
- Soak sheeps casing for at least an hour.
- Put a sausage filling nozzle on the mixer and pull the skin over it and fill.
- After 20 cm (7 3/4 “) tie each wurst by turning, than keep filling.
Best to chargrill fresh until done, at least 5 to 8 minutes each side. Also can be pan fried, but grilling is preferred.
Can be frozen up to 3 weeks.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 AngiesWeb.com