Jump to recipe
A typical Irish meal is boiled Beef with cabbage, here we called it Corned Beef. We had while visiting a pup in Killarney, Ireland. Very easy, it consists of beef brisket, potatoes, cabbage, and carrots. I married into an Irish (ancestors) family, so this simple dinner is highly appreciated.
Irish Boiled Beef would be very tender in a Slow Cooker. If you don’t own one already, I picked some for some for you that could be ordered right here
Irish boiled Beef or Corned Beef
- 1 (3 pound) corned beef brisket (with spice pack or pickling spices)
- 1 large onions
- 7 small white potatoes (yellow gold)
- 5 carrots, cut into 1” pieces (optional)
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
1 hour, 15 minutes
1 hour, 30 minutes
I usually use a Dutch oven, but this Irish dish can also be made in the Instant Pot. Wash 2 pound Corned Beef under cold water, place in IP with 4 cups of water and one onion, 4 garlic gloves and spice package. Seal and cook for 70 min, natural release 15 min. Remove beef with 3 cups of liquid. Add quartered potatoes, carrots and cabbage wedges to the IP. Pressure cook 2 to 3 minutes, then quick release, remove.
- Rinse the beef brisket under cold water, and place in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the brisket by 6 inches, add spice pack.
- Peel the onions and place them in the pot.
- Bring to a boil, and cook for about 30 minutes at a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low so that the water is at a gentle boil, cover, and cook for about 2.5 hours.
- Remove the lid from pot.
- Take out onions, cut into wedges, then put back in pot.
- Add carrots and cabbage over the roast.
- Place the potatoes on top of the cabbage.
- With the lid back on the pot, cook for another 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- When done place the vegetables in a separate serving bowl.
- The corned beef should stay in the pot until ready to slice, because it dries out quickly.
Cut the corned beef against the grain and serve.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2021 AngiesWeb.com