Surprisingly tasty I find these Puff Pastry twists, or as I call them, Nutty Sticks. They are originally filled with a a Hazelnut paste, but Walnuts will do. You can use a Sugar glaze or not, it’s a personal preference
Scroll to bottom for Schinken (Prosciutto) twists with Parmesan cheese
Puff pastry twists with Walnut filling
Cuisine German Category Appetizer Breads and Pastry Germany Recipes
- I package Puff Pastry (Pepperidge Farm) in the freezer isle. It has 2 sheets.
- Defrost pastry for 30 to 40 min, but still cold.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
- Nut filling:
- 1 ¾ cups ground walnuts (if hazelnuts nut available)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Dash of cinnamon and/or vanilla extract
- Glaze (optional)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1.5 tbsp milk, water or lemon juice
1 hour, 5 minutes
One of my favorite dough is Puff Pastry, which are sheets you can find in the freezer isle, usually Pepperidge Farms. They need to be defrosted (not more than 40 min.) and kept cold. This recipe is incredibly easy, and taste like fresh from the a Bakery. Bring those nutty twists to a coffee party, it will be hit and talked about for a long time.
- Preheat oven to 360 F
- Unfreeze the puff pastry for about 30 to 45 min and roll out. Make sure it is still cold and stays cold to the touch.
- Prepare the nut filling below while the puff pastry is ready to be rolled:
- Ground the nuts and mix with the cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Warm up the milk about 30 seconds in the microwave till hot.
- Stir into the nut mixture until it becomes a paste. Let cool.
- Prepare a baking pan, lay out with parchment/baking paper.
- Spread the nut mixture on top of the dough, then lay the second puff pastry dough sheet on top. Press down a little bit on the ends.
- Place a ruler guide on top and cut vertically with a pizza cutter (see YouTube), then again cut through the middle.
- Take each strip and turn, about 3 times.
- If dough gets too soft, place into refrigerator to cool for easier handling.
- Make sure you place the twists 1″ to 2″ apart on the prepared baking pan.
- For the swipe mix 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp milk in a bowl. Brush the top of each twist.
- Place in preheated oven (360 F) and bake for 13 to 15 minutes until golden/brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- If you prefer a glaze,: Mix powdered sugar, milk, water or lemon juice.
- Brush, drip or squeeze the glaze in a pattern on top the Nutty Sticks. Leave it to dry
Will keep 3 to 4 days in a storage box in the refrigerator. Warm up in toaster oven
To make Schinken Stangen or Prosciutto sticks:
One puff pastry sheet. For the filling you use: onion dip or just plain sour cream, smoked Schinken or Prosciutto (cooked ham will do) cut in cubes. Shredded parmesan cheese.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 AngiesWeb.com
Make “Schinken Stangen” with Prosciutto and Parmesan cheese
Ingredients and instruction: Preheat oven to 360 F. One puff pastry sheet. Spread on top puff pastry sheet onion dip or just plain sour cream. Place 40 g smoked and cubed Schinken or Prosciutto (cooked ham) and shredded Parmesan on top. Bake at 360 F for 15 minutes. Follow direction in recipe. Watch video below: