Spekulatius are crispy, spiced cookies that most people probably know because of their beautiful shape
The typical German spice cookies are made with cinnamon, cloves and cardamom, that also gives the cookie not only taste but also a wonderfully dark brown color
The relief shape can be easily obtained by wooden models, or silikon baking molds with corresponding patterned shapes, or a molding roll. With such a Spekulatius roller you only have to roll out the dough. Of course you can also simply cut out the cookies and eat them without elaborate reliefs.
Rolling Pin with Nativity scenes on Amazon:
Spekulatius Christmas Cookies
Cuisine German Category Breads and Pastry Cookies Desserts European Cuisine Germany Northern Europe Recipes
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter (room-temperature)
- 2 large eggs (room-temperature)
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Store the cooled cookies tightly covered in a tin or plastic container. They should keep for several weeks, if not month.
- In a large bowl mix the granulated sugar and vanilla extract with butter until well combined.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift the flour in to the bowl.
- Add the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom.
- Stir the mixture until it forms a stiff dough.
- Shape dough into a ball, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 or more hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Preparing mold, shaping the Cookies:
- Oil and flour a Spekulatius mold and tap out all excess flour.
- Roll a golf ball-size piece of dough between your lightly floured hands into an egg shape.
- Press the dough into the mold, filling all crevices.
- Use a sharp knife or piece of kitchen twine to cut off excess dough, so the dough is flush with mold.
- Tap the mold on the counter to release the cookie dough, or use a sharp knife to start the release of dough.
- Carefully place the cookie on a cookie sheet and repeat with the rest of the dough.
- If this process becomes too onerous,, do not own any cookie molds by rolling the dough 1/8 inch thick, then cut out cookies using your favorite cookie cutters.
- Bake in an oven heated to 350 F for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies brown slightly around the edges.
These cookies can be decorated like conventional sugar cookies, but the old-fashioned mold imprints should not be overshadowed, nor should the delicate flavor of the dough be masked.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 AngiesWeb.com
One thought on “Crispy German Spice Cookies, the Spekulatius”
Thank you,interested to try it
Comments are closed.