I ate the Topfenknödel in Mittenwald, South Bavaria, Topfen means Quark, and can be substituted with Greek Yoghurt or Ricotta cheese. The dumplings could be be filled with Plum or Apricot pieces, and covered with poppy seeds instead of breadcrumbs.
While preparing the Topfenknoedel, you can make the Vanilla sauce. I prefer the fast method with a mix, or just use Vanilla pudding, the cooking type, and add more milk a the end to make it fluid.
Vanilla Sauce can be ordered here on Amazon
Cuisine Austria Category Austria Cake and Torte Desserts European Cuisine Germany Northern Europe Recipes
- 250g 2% Greek Yoghurt strained, or Ricotta
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 3 tbsp Grits or Semolina flour
- 1 dash Salt
- Bread crumb mixture:
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 6 tbsp Bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Sugar
1 hour, 10 minutes
1 hour, 25 minutes
Best to be served with vanilla sauce. Can be made from scratch, or can be easily made with a cooking pudding (Dr. Oetker) just add more milk. Vanilla sauce can also be ordered online. The dumplings can be covered with poppy seeds instead of bread crumbs
- Beat Butter and egg till foamy. Add yoghurt, semolina flour and dash of salt.
- Then stir until smooth. Let rest for 1 hour.
- Boil a pot of water, form dumplings with a wet spoon by hand and place in almost boiling water.
- Leave in water on medium high until the dumplings move to the top, about 15 minutes.
- Fry the butter, bread flour and sugar in a pan until golden brown.
- Remove the dumpling from the water and roll in the bread crumps.
Dumplings can be filled with plum, apricot or berries, or just add fruit as a side.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 AngiesWeb.com