A Krautwickel or Cabbage Roll is a traditional German home cooked meal. You can add rice, but I like mine with potatoes. It’s a true German comfort meal
Perfect for lazy weekends when I feel like eating a hearty home cooked meal
The other weekend I took advantage of the “man-is-not-at-home hour” and made my mother’s Kohlrouladen cabbage rolls – and really celebrated it! Winter vegetables arouse little enthusiasm in men. And that’s expressed nicely.
So on that Saturday I treated myself to this classic. Leaf by leaf filled the minced meat and tied into small packs. Yes, admittedly, at the end I still had a lot of cabbage rolls left over. But the good thing about it, they can be frozen.
See preparation below:
Instant Pot recipe: Sear the filled cabbage rolls in the Instant pot. Remove, add 2 cups beef broth or water and a beef cube, 2 tbsp tomato puree and onions. Place the cabbage rolls on a trivet. Close the top and turn on high pressure for 13 minutes with 5 minutes slow release. Open lid, season, and thicken the gravy with the sear function, press cancel and add some cream and white wine, salt and pepper.
Krautwickel or Cabbage rolls
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 half onion, chopped and fried
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- Juice of a half lemon and zest
- Twig of fresh parsley
- 1 whole cabbage
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion minced
- 3 cups beef broth, or water with beef cube
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 cup of whole cream, or 1 tbsp sour cream
- Flour for thickening (optional)
- Bring a big pot of water to boil, turn on medium.
- Cut out the root cone, discard
- Add the whole cabbage to the hot water and cook 5 to 10 minutes, remove.
- Peel the softened leaves carefully.
- Leaves should come off easy.
- Mix the ground beef and pork with the first 9 ingredients.
- Take two or more softened leaves, lay the meat mixture on top, roll it and tie with kitchen yarn
- Heat a pan with oil on high and fry the Krautwickel until they get color and a few brown spots.
- Add a half minced onion, fry to golden.
- Pour in the beef broth, add beef cube and tomato puree, stir and cover.
- Cook on low/medium heat for 30 minutes.
- If you like it thicker, mix some flour and cornstarch with water and combine to the sauce with a whisk.
- Bring it to a boil to thicken.
- Add 1/2 cup of whole cream, or 1 tbsp sour cream.
- Season gravy to taste with salt pepper and some white wine.
- Remove and place on a hot serving plate.
- Can be served with mashed or boiled Potatoes.
If you are using the Instant Pot: 2 cups water, 1, onion, 1/2 cup wine. place cabbage rolls on a trivet. Close top and high pressure for 13 minutes with 5 minutes slow release. Prepare gravy.