Something I reminisce, we had Dampfnudeln with Potato soup some weekdays at our house. The fluffiest (!) German steamed yeast dumplings made with my Mother’s recipe
Dampfnudeln have an ingenious cracking crust on the bottom, and an addicting play of salty sweetness. The ingredients are more than simple, but the preparation is exactly the reason why it tastes so darn good
“Germknödel“, in some regions called “Sweet Dumplings”, are similar and a type or variant of steamed yeast dumpling that is very common in Austrian and South Bavarian cuisine.
I still had my Mother’s (RIP) recipe and I cooked these “Dampfnudeln” for the first time. So far I have never dared to do it, but now I claim it to be mine.
You too tired to make “Dampfnudeln” at the end of the day? Believe me, it’s worth the effort. Anyone who has ever bitten into such a perfect steamed dumpling knows why, it’s best when still lukewarm with its sensational crust!
I think I succeeded, now it’s time to savour this steamed yeast dumpling with some poppy seeds and buy here: Vanilla sauce from Amazon.Recipe not found
Dampfnudeln or “Steamed sweet Dumpling”
- 4 cups white flour
- 1 pack active dry yeast
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup butter for baking in the pan
- 125 ml milk for pan
- 1 tbsp sugar for pan
- Vanilla Sauce (Dr. Oetker, Amazon)
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in lukewarm milk.
- Add the flour, salt, melted butter and 1 egg.
- Mix all ingredients well, let the yeast dough rise in a warm place for at least an hour or more.
- Shape the dough into a roll as thick as a fist (diameter approx. 2 3/2 inches or 7 cm), cut off equal parts and shape into round dumplings.
- Flatten a little and let it rise again.
- Put sugar, butter and the milk in a pan with a high rim and a lid.
- Drop the dough pieces into the pan and cook over medium heat with the closed lid for about 30 minutes.
- The lid must never (!) be lifted, otherwise the steamed “Dampfnudeln” or Dumplings will collapse!
- It is finished when the liquid is completely evaporated, and the bottom of the dumpling is brown.
- Remove and serve hot with with warm vanilla sauce (poppy seeds), applesauce or a red berry sauce
Now it’s time to savour this steamed yeast dumpling with some Vanilla sauce, applesauce or a red berry sauce.