Bamberg in Upper Franconia is a tourist destination and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. As a medieval city in North Bavaria, it lies at the rivers Regnitz and Main, also called “Klein Venedig”. The old town is distinguished by its well-preserved buildings from the 11th to the 19th centuries. The decorated facade paintings of the old Town Hall is located on an island in the Regnitz and can be reached via arched bridges. The Romanesque Bamberger Dom, whose construction began in the 11th century, has 4 towers and numerous stone sculptures.
Kloster Michaelsberg or St. Michael’s is a former Benedictine monastery. After its dissolution in 1803 the buildings were used for the almshouse Vereinigtes Katharinen- und Elisabethen-Spital, which is still there as a retirement home. The former abbey church remains in use as the Michaelskirche.
Bamberg is known for its smoked Rauchbier and is home to nine breweries, Brauerei Fässla, Brauerei Greifenklau, Brauerei Heller-Trum (Schlenkerla), Brauerei Kaiserdom, Keesmann Bräu, Klosterbräu, Mahrs Bräu and Brauerei Spezial, and one brewpub, Ambräusianum. Every August there is a five-day Sandkerwa, a kirmess celebrated with Rauchbier. Also see Bamberger Rauchbier (Smoked Beer, Schlenkerla)