Jump to recipe
This is my mother’s recipe. She went to culinary school, and was an excellent cook. She taught me early on, and it must ingrained in me. Back when mother was alive, she must have spend half of her life in the kitchen. Cooking, baking, food decoration was her passion.
In our parents house we used to joke to my dad. There is a German saying “Liebe geht durch den Magen” which translates to “Love goes through the stomach”. It gave us a chuckle at the dinner table
Here are some of the Crock Pots or Instant Pots to choose from:
Can be cooked in a large pot or Dutch oven with a cooking time of 1.5 to 2 hours. Instant Pot about 30 to 40 minutes.
With this recipe I used a Slow Cooker, also called Crockpot, cooking on low for about 7 to 8 hours.
Unless you have a Chuck roast, to soften the tougher Top Round, try rubbing it in salt and spices a day ahead in in the fridge wrapped in plastic. It breaks down the sinew a little, and adds flavor to the inside of the meat. After 24 hours remove from the refrigerator and rinse.
Lately, I’ve been using my Instant Pot which takes about 20 minutes per pound, from start to finish 1.5 hours. Sear the seasoned beef roast in Instant Pot, brown each side of the roast for 3 mins in some oil. Remove roast from pot, add 1 cup both, 1 cup water and 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, a half onion and some parsley. Put back the beef roast (~3 pounds) on a trivet and pressure cook for 60 to 70 minutes. Slow release 10 min. Open top and season, prepare the gravy.
With this Roast you can serve my Horseradish sauce
Rindsbraten or German Beef Roast
- 2 to 3 lb. top round Beef Roast, or Chuck roast
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 lb. baby carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 1 Knorr beef cube
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch and flour for thickening
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Red wine (optional
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 50 minutes
As a side I recommend mashed potatoes, wide noodles, horseradish sauce and cranberries (or Preisselbeeren)
Instant Pot recipe: sear meat on all sides, add vegetables, close lid, 35 min high pressure, 10 min slow release, open lid, make the gravy as directed.
- Mince onion, slice carrots and celery
- After seasoning the roast, fry it from all sides in a pan in a little vegetable oil.
- After the browning, add the vegetable, then cook for an additional 5 minutes, until vegetables are leaning tender.
- Place everything to the crockpot, add water to the pan you used, then drop that in also with additional water.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours in the crock pot, or 1.5 hours in a regular pot.
- In the last hour remove the vegetables and press it through a sieve, or put in mixer, then add back to the gravy.
- Afterwards mix your cornstarch flower mix with a little cold water and stir it into the sauce, close lid of crockpot.
- Turn on high for 10 minutes until liquid is thickened.
- Add some additional spices, also Worcestershire sauce and/or Redwine
At the very end round of the gravy with Worcestershire Sauce and/or Redwine
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2021 AngiesWeb.com