Living three decades in the the US, mainly the South, I learned to slap bacon on almost everything. This Spinach Salad is great if you are on a Low Carb diet, and also can be healthy for Vegetarians by substituting or eliminating the bacon
This is great if you are on a Low Carb diet. The bacon can be left off, or substituted with a vegetarian or turkey bacon. The dressing can be heated and served warm separately with each salad bowl. Serving suggestion: Eat with sea scallops, chicken strips or place egg slices on top. This Salad will keep in the fridge for a couple days covered in a bowl without dressing.
Spinach Salad with Mandarin Oranges and Walnuts
- 5 pieces fried bacon, crumbled (save drippings).
- 1 11 ounce can Mandarin Oranges in light syrup
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced or chopped (optional green onion)
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts or almonds
- 3 to 4 tablespoons bacon drippings (or olive oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar (white or red, optional Balsamic)
- 1/3 cup light mandarin orange syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
This is great if you are on a Low Carb diet. The bacon can be left off, or substituted with a vegetarian or turkey bacon. Serving suggestion: Eat with sea scallops, chicken or beef strips.
- Bacon can be substituted with vegetarian bacon or fried turkey bacon.
- Drain the can of Mandarin Oranges, reserve syrup, or fresh mandarin oranges can be used with some orange juice for the dressing
- Add the chopped walnuts to a skillet and place over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until fragrant, about two minutes.
- Remove from pan and wipe clean.
- Fry the bacon until crispy and let drip off a plate with paper towel. Let cool.
- Toss in a large bowl spinach leaves, mandarines, bacon bits, sliced or chopped red (green onions) and the walnuts.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Serve immediately.
- Plain Salad will keep in the fridge covered for a couple days without the dressing.
Salad will keep in the fridge covered in a container for a couple days without dressing.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 AngiesWeb.com