My mother’s stuffing recipe was given down through generations. It can be eaten with any poultry, including Turkey
The chicken liver is optional, and in my case it brings back memories to my Bavarian and Franconian roots
I remember my childhood, I would get up early on Sunday morning and my mother would put some cooked “Fülle” Stuffing to the side for me to eat before the chicken is filled
My Mother’s Poultry Stuffing
Cuisine German-Franconia Category European Cuisine Germany Northern Europe Recipes Side dish
- 5 stale rolls or one baguette
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 lb chicken liver (optional)
- 1/2 lb minced meat, beef and/or pork
- Dash of salt and pepper to your liking
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- Zest of one lemon and 2 tsp. juice
- 1 egg
- 2 raw chicken
1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 50 minutes
This is my mother’s recipe given down through generations. The liver is optional, but for me it gives a special decadent taste.
- Fry the minced meat, remove from pan and drain fat.
- Chop the onion and parsley and fry in butter until onions are golden.
- Cut up chicken liver and fry until no longer red.
- Add the cooked hamburger meat back to the pan.
- Place the stale bread in a bowl and pour warm milk on top to soak.
- Squeeze the milk out of the bread and add in the pan with the rest.
- Drop an egg into the same pan with the stuffing, add some more butter (2+ tbsp), stir under.
- Cook two more minutes in medium.
- Remove from the stove top.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to your liking.
- Add zest of one lemon and some juice to the mixture and stir
- Wash the chicken (or turkey) inside and out, pat dry with paper towel and season with salt, pepper and paprika
- Once the stuffing is cooled, fill the chicken.
- When filling, you can sew up the opening with a piece of kitchen yarn.
- Bake in oven 350F for 1.5 hours depending on weight.
After roasting, the finished poultry must be carefully separated or sliced, so that the filling is not damaged, or lift out the filling and cut into finger-thick slices on a board. The stuffing can also be cooked separately and served on the side
Serve with my Apple-Cranberry Chutney
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 AngiesWeb.com