Perfect to accompany an afternoon coffee is the Zwetschgenkuchen. You can find or pick plums from June till late September when they are ripe. In the US you can buy this oval purple fruit in some stores, they are called Italian plums.
This recipe is made with a yeast dough on a rectangular sheet cake pan. Streusel makes this cake complete
Zwetschgenkuchen or Plum Cake
Cuisine German Category Cake and Torte Desserts Germany Recipes
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 stick butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 lb little purple plums quartered, also called Italien plums
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
1 hour, 30 minutes
2 hours, 5 minutes
Instead of Streusel, you can cover the cake with plain sugar depending on taste
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Place flour, butter, sugar, salt, mix, then add the yeast mixture, melted (not hot) butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes, it should be sticky (add more milk if necessary).
- Form in a ball, it should rise for about an hour in a warm, draft free room covered loosely with plastic foil.
- Butter a cookie sheet (at least 18 inches lengths, 1 inch high).
- Place on cookie sheet and press down with your fingers.
- Form a rim. Now put the plums tight in rows on the dough.
- Let stand for another hour uncovered.
- Prepare the Streusel:.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with your fingers until it is thoroughly combined to give it a sandy or clumpy texture.
- Sprinkle on plum cake
- Bake the cake at 350 F for 30 to 35 minutes until golden.
Plums, also called Italien plums, can be substituted with apples if not available.
Streusel makes this cake complete
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2023 AngiesWeb.com
One thought on “Zwetschgenkuchen or Plum cake”
This recipe has soul. Yum.. 😊
Comments are closed.