Jump to recipe
The delicious Pfälzer liver sausage is one of the traditional German specialties. A slightly coarse liver sausage, which despite its consistency has a nice creaminess and a fabulous taste. An original delicacy!
Whenever I have a craving for Liverwurst I make my own. Leberwurst always taste better the next day. Put a slice of bacon on top, to keep the air out, before closing the lids and boil the jar. The liverwurst will keep about 4 to 6 month in the refrigerator.
Pfälzer Leberwurst or Liverwurst
- 2 pounds pork belly
- 250g beef liver
- 2 tbsp Salt or to your taste
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 leek
- 1/2 celery
- 2 tsp Majoran
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Powdered Cloves
- Bacon slices
1 hour, 20 minutes
Mason Jars can be bought at any Superstore, but wouldn’t it be nice to have some decorative lids? That would make a great gift. Available on Amazon. Best to be store in Refrigerator overnight and eaten the next day!
- Pork belly, which should already be quite fat (if lean, add some cream cheese to make it more spreadable).
- If you don’t have a meat grinder, get ground pork and fry it lightly.
- For a smoky taste add some smoked bacon.
- The belly is cooked with rind and bone and until the bones are easy to pull out of the meat.
- The cooking water is added to the following vegetables per liter:
- A medium onion, 1/2 cup carrot, 1/2 cup leek and 1/2 cup celery.
- Once the meat is done, remove the bones and cartilage.
- The rind is cut very thin so that the fat is preserved.
- Now the meat is weighed to determine the amount of liver.
- The amount of liver should amount to a quarter of the cooked meat.
- Clean the liver and soak for 30 minutes in the water.
- The liver is brewed for about one to two minutes in the boiling water.
- Now cut everything small and mince with the mixer.
- Per kg you need 1/2 cup small cut onion.
- The result is a relatively dry mass which is filled up with the cooking brew until a structure reminiscent of baby porridge is obtained.
- Mix in spices
- Beware, it will lose some taste after cooking, so season accordingly
- Fill in glasses, leave an 1/2 inch, cover with a slice of bacon.
- Close lid tight and boil about 45 min with water covered up to the lid.
- The liverwurst will taste best the next day and after.
- Keeps up to 6 month in the refrigerator.
Let cool, refrigerate and eat next day!
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2021 AngiesWeb.com
Taste great with Mein Bauernbrot
For grinding the meat, the only one that worked for me is the Ninja Mixer 1100 Watts and above. You can order them here:
Mason Jars can be bought at any Superstore, but wouldn’t it be nice to have some decorative lids? That would make a great gift