Jump to recipe
As an Austrian dish originally, I am familiar with this soup from my childhood. Semolina flour is not easily found in the stores, it can be ordered on Amazon
The secret of this recipe for the semolina dumpling is that the butter needs to be room temperature, only then stir in a bowl until frothy. Season with salt and a small, delicate pinch of nutmeg. Add the egg while stirring vigorously. Scatter semolina on top, mix well until the batter is a smooth.
Cover with foil and let rest for 15-20 minutes. With the help of 2 tablespoons, which are repeatedly dipped in hot water shape dumplings from the mass. Place as desired on a lightly creased board or plate and let it steep again briefly (this will make the dumplings even nicer).
Bring plenty of salted water to the boil in a large saucepan. Drop in the dumplings, bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 10-15 minutes over low heat (do not cook properly!). Meanwhile, turn the dumplings carefully from time to time.
Carefully lift out the semolina dumplings and serve in the prepared hot soup. Sprinkle with parsley or chives and serve quickly.
The semolina dumplings can also be cooked in the beef soup, but this sometimes makes the soup look a little cloudy. Cooked dumplings should never stay too long in the broth, otherwise they will simply “soak up” the soup and consequently become softened.
There are several German dishes prepared with Semolina flour. Like sweet Grießchnitten, Grießbrei etc.
Griessnockerlsuppe, or Semolina Dumpling Soup
- 3.5 tbsp Butter (room temperature)
- 1 medium Egg
- 2/3 cup Semolina (100 gram)
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 4 cups beef broth
- Some Parsley for garnish
The Semolina dumplings can also be cooked in the beef soup, but this sometimes makes the soup look a little cloudy. Cooked dumplings should never stay too long in the broth, otherwise they will simply “soak up” the soup and consequently become softened.
Semolina flour can be found in some health food stores, or on here on Amazon
- Beat butter till frothy. Gradually add the Egg, Semolina flour and nutmeg.
- Stir well and let the mixture swell for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take a teaspoon and keep it wet by placing it in water then in flour mixture.
- Form the dumplings. They should be smooth.
- Place the dumplings into boiling water (or broth)
- Set heat to medium low and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After cooking remove and rinse in sieve with cold water (prevent sticking.
- Can be kept in the refrigerator for about three days
After cooking the Knockerls, remove and rinse in sieve with cold water to prevent sticking. Can be kept in the refrigerator for about three days
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2022 AngiesWeb.com